- Brown et. al. (2005) Effect of increasing energy and protein intake on body growth and carcass composition of heifer calves. J Dairy Sci. Feb;88(2):585- 94.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15653525
- Brown et al. (2005) Effect of increasing energy and protein intake on mammary development in heifer calves. J Dairy Sci. Feb;88(2):595 603.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15653526
- Soberon et al. (2012) Preweaning milk replacer intake and effects on long-term productivity of dairy calves. J Dairy Sci. Feb;95(2):783– 793 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22281343
- Brickell & Wathes (2009) The effect of growth rate on age at first calving, fertility and milk production during the first lactation of Holstein-Friesian heifers on UK dairy farms. Presented to the British Society of Animal Science Annual Meeting, March 30 to April 1, 2009, Southport, UK. https://bsas.org.uk/articles/animal-bytes/increased-early-heifer-growth-reduces-age- at-first-calving-and-offers
- Lorenz et. al. (2011) Calf health from birth to weaning. II. Management of diarrhoea in pre-weaned calves. Ir Vet J. 64(1):9.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ articles/PMC3182126/
- DAIReXNET, Calf Diseases and Prevention, 16th August 2019 https://dairy-cattle.extension.org/2019/08/calf-diseases-and-prevention/
- Aghakeshmiri, et. al. (2017) Effects of neonatal diarrhoea and other conditions on subsequent productive and reproductive performance of heifer calves. Vet Res Commun. Jun;41(2):107-112 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28160198
- Constable PD, et. al. (2005) Use of a quantitative strong ion approach to determine the mechanism for acid-base abnormalities in sick calves with or without diarrhea. J Vet Intern Med. 19:581–9.
- Smith G (2009) Treatment of Calf Diarrhoea: Oral Fluid Therapy. Vet Clin. Food Anim. 25:55-72.
- Garthwaite BD et. al. (1994) Whole milk and oral rehydration solution for calves with diarrhea of spontaneous origin. J Dairy Sci. Mar;77(3):835-43.
- 11.1. Smith G (2009) Treatment of Calf Diarrhoea: Oral Fluid Therapy. Vet Clin. Food Anim. 25:55-72. 11.2. Mueller KR (2018) Oral electrolyte therapy for diarrhoeic calves – how to pick the right electrolyte product. Livestock Jan/Feb: Vol 23(1). 11.3. Lorenz I et. al. (2011) Calf health from birth to weaning. II. Management of diarrhoea in pre-weaned calves. Irish Vet. Journal 64:9. 11.4. Sayers et. al. (2017) An observational study using blood gas analysis to assess neonatal calf diarrhoea and subsequent recovery with a European Commission-compliant oral electrolyte solution. J. Dairy Sci. 99: 4647–465.
Make Milk Matter by getting involved
Contact an advisor / Get involved
Want to know more about how to make Milk Matter on your farm, or do you have a story to share? Get in touch.